Wednesday 28 March 2018

#7 "Storyboard" (Part 2)

Last time, I created a basic 4 frame storyboard for a commercial concept. However, now the concept has been expanded for a 10 frame storyboard with more details. The revised storyboard involves
- Death hiding behind a tree. They are watching someone on a park bench
- The camera turns around, showing a woman sitting at the bench, eating a banana
- Death starts creeping out from behind the tree and towards the woman
- The woman, having finished her banana, throws the peel behind her, oblivious to Death's presence
- Close up shot of the banana peel flying through the air
- Death slips on the banana peel and is sent falling
- Death is lying on the ground, with the woman (still oblivious) jogging away in the background
- Screen change to a hand pressing the "ON" button on a blender
- Another hand picks up a pair of sneakers
- Logo and slogan for the organization appears on screen

So with this new outline, I started a new storyboard, but...
Roughly half-way through the new storyboard, I felt I was taking way too long with this, especially considering it is supposed to just be a rough outline and not an actual finished piece, so I decided to try out a new method for doing the storyboard
This more "paint-like" storyboard style doesn't have much detail, and is rather scribbly, but it IS meant to be a rough outline. It uses basic shapes and shades of grey to VERY roughly set up the scenes, with the removed detail and shading based on distance making it potentially much clearer than the previous approach. With this style, instead of starting from the foreground and working back like I had done previously, I instead start at the background and work forwards. This makes it easier to do it quickly as I don't have to worry about drawing in a background carefully after drawing in the main foreground. I think I may use this style for thumbnail sketching a lot in the future.

The next step, is to create a full colour version. Like last time, I will focus on one panel
First, a larger greyscale sketch
Using this sketch, I start a new full colour, while still looking "painterly", but including details
Starting with the background, I use a blurrier and sketchied brush for the background elements
 Next, the figures. I use a rounder, more solid brush for them
The next step is, of course, the shading. I also add outlines and such to the two figures (and the bench) in order to add a bit more detail to them
The final little step is to put shadows underneath each tree and the bench, and the thumbnail is finished
Next post... more storyboards






No comments:

Post a Comment